Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Handwoven Huckleberry Dishtowels

You know, I really thought I blogged these. Apparently not. I wove them last year, but they've sat in my hemming basket awaiting needle and thread. Finally I've done the hand-hemming (I prefer that over machine-hemming, mainly because I'm all thumbs with the sewing machine) and taken some pictures. I've listed them in my Etsy shop - I have 6 available. I also had a short one (end of the warp) that I'm keeping for ME. They remind me of my beloved Montana, and of my friend Sandi who lives there (and bakes huckleberry muffins each time I visit - so the first towel I hemmed was gifted to her!)

The details: I used 6/2 unmercerized cotton (with 20/2 cotton in plum for hems and hemming), in mulberry and purple. The structure is log cabin. The finished towels are 26" x 18". They're soft and absorbent, and will be more so over time and laundering.

I'm transitioning us to using cloth towels in the kitchen and cloth napkins at the table. Not just environmentally friendly, but more pleasing to the hand and the eye!


1 comment:

  1. They are gorgeous! And I never saw Sandi's muffins ;-0 Great colour combo, and I love the logcabin - clean and brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

Sharing my fiber craft, my garden, my cats, and life.