Monday, April 21, 2014

In The Garden

Our garden is larger this year, and we're hoping for more of a harvest. Last year the squash vine borer got our zucchini, the heat got our lettuce, and I have no idea what happened to the tomatoes. We did get a lot of green beans, and the basil went crazy, but that was it.

This year we started earlier, and utilized lights to start seedlings indoors before the last frost. It helped to give our garden a good jump-start. I've been harvesting lettuce for weeks - we planted several varieties in pots instead of in the ground, so we could move it out of the worst of the heat to extend the season a bit. I've got Romaine, Grand Rapids, and Simpson, and I get 3 small side-salads for dinner at least 4x a week. I take the largest leaf from each plant, and they obligingly grow new ones for the next day or two.



Today I also harvested a few green onions and green beans. It's a small taste of what's to come, and I'm loving it. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing my fiber craft, my garden, my cats, and life.